Keeping the love alive in your long term relationship
This week’s Rocking Midlife® Podcast interview features Isabel and Michael Hunsinger – the team behind Doctor on a Mission – speaking about how they keep the love alive after 42 years of being together.
You might recall that I interviewed Isabel in season 2 about menopause and brain health, as she is a doctor who specializes in helping people age well. Michael is a culinary nutritionist, and the pair work as a team, helping people reverse their diabetes and cognitive decline.
What I love about the Hunsingers is that they are not only passionate about their work – they are passionate about one another, and I know that their insights will encourage others in long term partnerships. Isabel even shares a list of 8 key things that have helped them keep their marriage happy and healthy, and while they are a bit out of order due to our having too much fun in our conversation, you are sure to find one that will inspire you to take action on your marriage.
Click HERE to watch our interview on Youtube!
I often talk about the roller coaster that is midlife. There is love and there is loss, along with every emotion in between which can feel amplified when you add the crazy hormones of menopause to the mix. For many, this season also exposes the weaker parts of their marriage, as couples are forced to re-engage when the distraction of childrearing is removed.
We’ve spoken previously on the podcast about being single, plus about how to heal and live life authentically after divorce. My hope is that today’s episode will give you both hope and tips to help you not only revive your long term relationship if it is feeling a bit stale, but to nurture your relationship so much that it develops to be something far better than you ever imagined.
Isabel’s 8 tips for keeping the love alive in your long term relationship became 10 by the end of the interview, so in case you missed any, here they are:
- Attack the problem, not the person.
- Identify YOUR personal issues and work on them.
- Keep your voice and countenance calm and low.
- Timing of when to discuss and solve problems.
- LISTEN! – no eye rolls or sighs and pay attention.
- Ephesians 4:29 – Be kind with the tongue (your words)
- RESPECT – never disrespect in public.
- Trust – that comes from respect and ALL of the other steps.
- “neglect the rest of the world if you have to, but NEVER neglect each other.”
- Intimacy – Stay sexy for each other.
- You can find the Hunsingers at their website: https://doctoronamission.com/
- You can join their free group here: https://www.facebook.com/groups/shamefreeforwomen
Enjoyed this episode of the Rocking Midlife® Podcast?
I would be so grateful if you could leave a 5 star review at Apple – this way the podcast is boosted and found more easily.
Prefer watching the video? Please subscribe over at Youtube, hit the notifications bell and share. I love being able to shine the light on inspiring midlifers around the globe, and your sharing takes their message way further than I can alone!
Please Pin & Share!